COMMUNICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP OFFICER – CLOSED
The purpose of this job is to design and create engaging and captivating hope-based print and audio-visual content for Amnesty Kenya digital platforms, social media channels and publications to support our campaigning work. The position will also support membership and supporters’ recruitment and retention strategies and document, edit, design and publish high-quality motivational materials that capture our members, supporters and circles of conscience work across the country.
Amnesty International Kenya is an integral part of a global movement of more than 17 million people who take injustice personally. Registered in Kenya and affiliated with Amnesty International, the organisation has been at the forefront of promoting and protecting human rights for all.
Guided by our new Strategic Framework 2021-2023, Amnesty International Kenya believes in a society where every human being understands and claims their rights and freedoms. We exist to enable circles of conscience and movements capable of advancing full citizenship rights for all and an effective and accountable state.
Together with our national board, supporters, members, and partners both in civil society and the state, we will create an activist culture that strengthens public expression, association and peaceful assembly and reduces discriminatory inequalities, corruption, and impunity at national and county levels.
All applicants to this position will be required to demonstrate a commitment to Amnesty’s organisational values and vision and the Kenyan Constitution and be familiar with rights-based organising, citizen empowerment and an anti-discriminatory approach to social justice. In addition, all successful candidates will have demonstrated an ability to work in teams and a proven ability to multi-task and work to deadlines, sometimes under pressure.
Communications and Membership Unit, Campaign Managers, Campaign Officers, and relevant IS global thematic staff.
- Research, script, design, produce and manage high-quality interactive print, audio and audio-visual digital online content for Amnesty Kenya organisational emails, artwork and other materials.
- Analyze complex human rights languages and processes from a user-focused perspective and simplify them for all our target constituencies.
- Support the Communications and Membership Unit to organise, caption, tag and upload content to Amnesty Kenya online media library.
- Support the Communications and Membership Unit to manage Amnesty Kenya’s social media accounts and engage with diverse audiences across key social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tiktok, Youtube, Instagram)
- Generate, edit and publish clear, compelling content that upholds our brand identity as a vibrant and edgy civil society organisation and advances our objectives.
- Develop, implement, and manage Amnesty Kenya’s social media calendar.
- Research and maintain lists of relevant influencers and high-impact hashtags.
- Collaborate with other Amnesty Kenya teams to develop social media plans ahead of key conferences, events, and opportunities.
- Support Amnesty Kenya teams to produce high-quality informative and motivational materials from our work.
- Track and assess social media metrics, insights, and best practices to help us continuously improve our reach and engagement with key audiences.
- Support the Communications and Membership Manager to develop and implement membership recruitment and engagement strategies.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (journalism, communications, gender, community development, human rights, international development or other social media science).
- Demonstrate relevant skills in content creation and curation.
- Excellent writing and visualization skills with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated experience using design tools and software (Canva, Photoshop, among others).
- Demonstrated experience using survey tools (Survey Monkey, Google Forms and MS Forms, among others).
- Proven ability to react to fast-changing political situations, exercising and promoting creative thinking.
- Demonstrated experience in using of Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, among others.
Equality and diversity are at the core of our values. Staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected. We do not discriminate based on your gender, age, ethnicity, disability, class, sexual preference, or other identities. Women and persons with disability are strongly encouraged to apply.
NO FEE CHARGED AND YOUR RIGHT TO PRIVACY:
Amnesty International Kenya does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). Amnesty International Kenya does not share your applications or information with third parties without your consent.
All applications must be received before or on Tuesday, 25th October 2022, 2359 hours (Nairobi time) as a single PDF document that includes a cover letter and a CV sent to [email protected] Due to the volume of applications, we shall only respond to successful candidates.